I had so much fun with this block, so be prepared for me to go into excruciating detail on this one! lol Or, you can just look at the photo at the top and forget the rest - your choice!
I have huge respect for anyone who has the patience to do fancy hemstitching so I was not going to interfere or disguise that. Instead I stitched a row of chain stitch on either side of the handwork to highlight it, rather than distract from it. I used a lovely shade of Gloriana Princess Petite Perle silk thread called Fiesta. The lovely fringed edging I left as is.
Lorrie had requested a fairy on each block and rather than add a fairy charm I used waste canvas and some variegated cotton floss to cross stitch a fairy silhouette.
I wanted to point out the beautiful cross stitch teacup Lorrie used for the center of each of her blocks. She also had the edged hankie in place and provided us with the other corners of the hankies to use in some way. I decided that the hankie was the tablecloth under the teacup and the scrap would be a cloth napkin and I did some simple embroidery in green silk thread to coordinate the two further.
The tiniest little motif is the tea cup charm, one of the ones Lorrie provided with her block for us to use. I added a tiny scrap of Nicki's hand dyed lace underneath to form a tablecloth or doily under the teacup and borrowed Cathy K's idea of using silk ribbon for steam above the cup.
On the piece of linen underneath, I duplicated the original hemstitching stitches using variegated silk perle thread. I added a pearl bead to the center of each cluster of bullion stitches that were already part of the linen. Lastly I added a small bit of lace dyed with potassium permanganate.
Finally at the bottom I added a button cluster. First I laid down a piece of vintage lace edged with pink french knots. Then I added some of the buttons from Lorrie's collection, a heart charm, some small ribbon flowers and a few more pearl beads.
This was a wonderful block to work on and I enjoyed it thoroughly!